My first shot at watermarbling. The “arty” way requires oil paints and turpentine or something, but I just used nail polish. View Larger

My first shot at watermarbling. The “arty” way requires oil paints and turpentine or something, but I just used nail polish.


I’ve waited in this bus terminal dozens of times, but I’ve never noticed this window before. Nice touch to an otherwise horribly boring place. View Larger

I’ve waited in this bus terminal dozens of times, but I’ve never noticed this window before. Nice touch to an otherwise horribly boring place.


This is my first test with the Lumi Inkodye stuff, which is light sensitive dye intended for use on fabrics. I used a piece of off-white cotton ribbon I’d bought with this intention, and cut my letters out of paper. I drew my letters in black india ink using a flat tip brush - since I didn’t realize I had markers with that shape at the time - and then cut them out.

The lighter pink images are from leaving the ribbon in weak, non-direct sunlight for about 30 minutes. The darker red is from leaving it in direct sunlight for about 8 hours (while I was at work). The amount of sunlight is the only thing that makes a difference to the colour, rather than the amount of ink.

You can see that although I didn’t cut the counters of my letters out, there’s still a difference from where there was black ink, blocking out more sunlight, than where there wasn’t. I guess even a little sunlight penetrating something relatively thick will make a difference with the right amount of time. The last few photos are after I washed it and some of the ink had faded away with the detergent.